[Phys-L] Re: student difficulties with velocity as a vector?

Hypotheses don't lead to firm conclusions.
Regards,
Jack

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, John Clement wrote:

If the attention is the important factor, then one would hypothesize that a
superb lecturer would get more attention than one who can barely speak
English. The experiment by Hestenes showed that there was no difference.

One of the easy ways to confirm this is to interview students with probing
questions, and it immediately becomes obvious that they have a different
reference frame which precludes understanding what you are saying. Both
clinical method interviews and experimental evidence line up.

Now there are certainly some students who are not paying attention, but
there are many who are actually trying. I think that all of the researchers
who have actually done experiments or interviews will agree on this point.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Hi all-