[mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On Behalf Of Jack Uretsky
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:02 PM

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, John Clement wrote:

No, it is not that they are not paying attention, it is
that they do
not understand what you are saying.

My mind is boggled at trying to imagine the evidence
that would support such a conclusion.

I don't necessarily disagree with either John nor Jack and this is
somewhat off my original question but I think can imagine some evidence
that would support a conclusion that they do not understand (even though
they pay attention).

How about this?

1. About half my students apparently don't understand what I am saying
as evidenced by the responses to my questions.

2. I only lecture for about 2-5 minutes at a time before I ask them a
question (via the remote) or ask them to discuss something with their
neighbors (as I walk around and address individual questions). Again, I
know some people can drift off after a couple of seconds but most people
are expected to be capable of "paying attention" for a few minutes.

3. There are only 25 or so in the class. They all look at me. I know
some can sleep with their eyes open but for the majority I assume such a
focus is evidence of "paying attention".

Robert Cohen, Chair, Department of Physics
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301
570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq