[Phys-L] Re: Natural Gas vs Electricity

At 01:48 PM 10/27/2005, Rick Tarara wrote:
A note on thermostats--I seem to buy a new one every 5 years. The latest
($50-60) seems to have a couple interesting features.
///
There is another thing that this thermostat does (and I think the previous
one did as well) but older ones did not. A couple minutes after running the
burners and the fan, the fan runs again for about 15 seconds. That is
somewhat irritating to me (I still hear pretty well and the one-speed fan is
reasonably loud). But I think the reason for that is to clear out any
uncombusted gas from the burner section.

///

Richard W. Tarara

There should be no path between house air and the combustion flue.
The combustion CO content, though low is hazardous.
I expect Rick notices that the fan which senses a burner case
temperature, switches off when the case has cooled sufficiently.
The case may then recover in a heat soak effect.
The other effect sometimes noticed, is that the burner fires up
for a little while before the fan starts - the case heating provides
a lag. A CO monitor is always helpful in a house gas-heated with
blown air.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!