[Phys-L] Piaget & Dewey: Down for the Count? - FORWARD from Kieran Egan

In my post Piaget & Dewey: Down for the Count? [Hake (2005a)] I wrote
[bracketed by lines "HHHHHH. . . .":

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I argue that the criticism of Piaget by Catherine Scott in a recent
AERA-D post is problematic, and close with three questions:

(1) Does Kieran Egan (2004) ("Getting it Wrong from the Beginning:
Our progressivist inheritance from Herbert Spencer, John Dewey, and
Jean Piaget") or anyone else give any solid evidence for such
criticism?;

(2) Would anyone, care to comment on Kieran Egan's opinion that both
Dewey and Piaget were:
(a) "wrong from the start," and
(b) heavily influenced by Herbert Spencer?";

(3) If Dewey was and is WRONG, why is Dewey-like pedagogy so
seemingly successful in introductory physics education?
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kieron Egan's provocative response to those questions is contained in
a recent post on AERA-L "Piaget & Dewey: Down for the Count? -
FORWARD from Kieran Egan," [Hake (2005b)] that can be accessed by
clicking on <http://tinyurl.com/bsvfs>.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>