[Phys-L] Re: THE WEDGE STRATEGY of The ID Movement

James Mackey wrote:

Science ... is ... just an attempt to understand the way the
divinely formulated universe operates.

I think this is quite clearly wrong. Science is far broader than
that. It is an attempt to understand the way the universe operates.
It does not restrict itself to the divinely formulated portion, if
any, thereof.

... Personally I think the repugnance at [the human subject tests
performed by the Nazis] stems from man's divine nature.

And I find that less likely since the repugnance is, obviously, not
universally shared.

I think it is a result of moral development. For some, morality is a
fairly complicated set of rules dictated by God and moral behavior is
enforced with promises and threats regarding the afterlife. For
others, morality is embodied in the Golden Rule and moral behavior is
enforced by a sophisticated understanding of the practical fact that
what goes around, usually comes around.

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona