[Phys-L] 1Re: HUMAN EVENTS Article: Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries - PART 1

PART 1
The Dewey-L archives for October 2005, week 2
<http://listserv.sc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0510b&L=dewey-l> list:

(a) four posts titled "HUMAN EVENTS Article: Ten Most Harmful Books
of the 19th and 20th Centuries,"

(b) six posts titled "Humanist Manifesto". . . [see, e.g.,
<http://www.americanhumanist.org/about/manifesto1.html>]. . . or
variants thereof.

Evidently these posts were seeded in part by psychologist Christoper
Green's (2005a) comment in a TIPS (Teaching in the Psychological
Sciences) post "Re: Piaget & Dewey: Down for the Count?" of 09 Sep
2005. Green wrote [bracketed by lines "GGGGGG. . . .d":

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Hake . . .[2005a] . . . wrote: "(2) Would anyone, care to comment on
Kieran Egan's (2004) opinion that both Dewey and Piaget:
(a) were 'wrong from the start', and
(b) heavily influenced by Herbert Spencer?"

I haven't read [Egan (2004)], so I don't know Egan's reasons for
saying so, but knowing what I currently do about Dewey [I just
finished making a documentary about the founding of the Chicago
functionalist school . . .[see "Prehistory of Functionalism DVD"
(Green 2005b)]. . ., my impression is that the progressivist
character of Dewey's approach to evolution came from his prior
Hegelian training at the hands of his Johns Hopkins PhD supervisor,
and later Michigan boss, George Sylvester Morris (There was an
excellent article about this in "History of Psychology" . . . [for
the reference see Green's 10-million hit "Classics in the History of
Psychology" <http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/>] . . . by Andrew Backe .
. .[2001]. . . a few years ago.). Moreover, I think one could argue
that Dewey's *social* progressivism (not to be confused with his
evolutionary progressivism) was a response *against* Spencer's . . .
[see Spencer (1860)] . . . rather dark vision of the implications of
evolutionary theory for social change, attempting to show that one
could accept evolution and not immediately draw Malthusian
conclusions from it.

Hake . . .[2005a] . . . wrote: "(3) If Dewey was and still is WRONG,
why is Dewey-like pedagogy so seemingly successful in introductory
physics education? . . .[I should have referenced Ansbacher (2002)
and Hake (2002)]"

Again, I haven't read the paper, but there is an enormous political
backlash underway right now against Dewey's educational theory by
neoconservatives (who recently listed "School and Society" among the
100 most dangerous books of the 20th century . . .[Green was probably
thinking of the HUMAN EVENTS Article: Ten Most Harmful Books of the
19th and 20th Centuries at
<http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591> that rated
Dewey's (1916) "Democracy and Education" as the fifth most harmful
book of the 19th and 20th centuries ]. . . So beware of the political
sources behind proclamations of this sort. What Dewey actually did,
in historical context, was to argue that centering school on tasks
like learning dead languages and rote memorization of arcane
grammatical rules were not the best things school could be doing in a
time when America -- Chicago in particular -- were in the midst of
ethnic and labor strife that was threatening to bring down the
country (recall, Grover Cleveland sent in HALF of the standing US
army to bring and end to the Pulman train boycott in Chicago in
1894). Instead, he argued, the school system should, first and
foremost, teach kids how to get along with each other by
cooperatively engaging in concrete, hands-on projects in which they
could jointly succeed
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

"Regarding the HUMAN EVENTS article "Ten Most Harmful Books Of The
19th And 20th Centuries"
<http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591>:

(a) Celinda Scott requested HUMAN EVENTS to send a copy of
that article to the Dewey-L list. The copy appears in Scott (2005a)
but the typography of the copy transmitted by HUMAN EVENTS to Dewey-L
is as eccentric as the HUMAN EVENTS article itself. I have therefore
placed a more readable copy of the article in the APPENDIX.

(b) Tim Collins (2005) in his Dewey-L post "Re: HUMAN EVENTS Article:
Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20 Centuries," wrote
[bracketed by lines "CCCCC. . .":
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Conservative intellectuals in the 21st century have anchored their
minds in an abyss of non-existent absolutes and claim to be fastened
to solid ground.

Pragmatists are anchored in experience - divergent, fuzzy,
multi-faceted and disputed though it may be.

While we have much to disagree about, there is no reason not to howl
in protest when snake oil salesmen are in town.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Are the 15 "conservative scholars and public policy leaders" who
rated Dewey's "Democracy and Education" as the fifth most harmful
book of the 19th and 20th centuries really "snake oil salesmen"?

In the APPENDIX under "The Judges," I have given Google generated
URL's for each of the fifteen that may yield some insight into their
orientations.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>