[Phys-L] Re: notation for initial velocity components

Suppose we have two objects m(1) and m(2) in contact with each other,
and we are looking at the Newton's 3rd law contact forces. We might
label these as F(12) and F(21). Which is which? Is F(12) the force
exerted on m(1) by m(2), or is F(12) the force m(1) exerts on m(2).
Another example would be two charges exerting Coulomb's Law forces on
each other.

The way I see it, was taught, prefer, is that the subscript nearest the
primary symbol should describe the primary object the force pertains to.
Therefore, the notation F(12) should describe the force experienced by
m(1). In my way of thinking, F(12) is the force on m(1) because of or
caused by or exerted by m(2).

I agree with Michael's notation and the reason I like F_12 is because
I think of the 2nd subscript as a semi-optional sub-subscript: hence
F_1 = sum over i of F_1_i. (Optional because if there are only two
objects of interest then the net force on 1, F_1, is the force on 1
due to 2, F_1_2. The subscript 2 is then only a reminder, which we
can drop when we get tired of writing it.) -Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002