[Phys-L] Re: Survey Meters

At 11:46 AM 10/19/2005, John M., you wrote:

The result of the two beta decays from initially stable populations
of Pb-214 and Bi-214 produces radiation with an approximately 40
minute half life. I constructed a simple spread sheet to model the
decay sequence and it produced a graph of beta production versus time
that very nicely matches the Buda figure.

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

If instead of using a spreadsheet, I synthesize the effect
of a double decay cascade like this,
where the first species decays at one third the rate of
the daughter species,......

'exponential decay of double series
count = 1000
for a = 1 to 1000
count = count*0.99
count2 = count* 0.97
print a; " " ;count; " "; count2
next a
end

... a single exponential of this form:
count2 = 970* exp(-0.001005 *a)

leads to a fit with exceptionally good statistics
anovar: F = 9.6E20, SE estimate = 1.4E-7
using just a single exponential equation.

Therefore, I expect I am misunderstanding some prior comments
about the possibility of pulling details of a double decay out of an
exponential time series. I cannot do this.
Or was my synthetic dataset faulty?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!