[Phys-L] Re: The Politics of ID

for those who want to do more than discuss this:

rcvd this am.

bc

Dear Bernard,

Send a letter to your governor to ensure that the integrity of science
education is upheld in your public schools!
<http://go.care2.com/e/hPd/cI/C.Pm>

The religious right is once again launching a frontal attack on the Bill
of Rights - this time by changing the curriculum in our public schools!
Act Now! <http://go.care2.com/e/hPd/cI/C.Pm>

Recently, a trial over "Intelligent Design" began in Pennsylvania, where
school teachers are rebelling against a school board decision that
forced them to teach creationism alongside evolution in their biology
classrooms.

Send a letter to your governor to ensure that the separation of church
and state and the integrity of science education are upheld in your
public schools! <http://go.care2.com/e/hPd/cI/C.Pm>

At issue in Dover, PA, is a new policy requiring all ninth-grade biology
teachers to read a statement on "Intelligent Design" before teaching
evolution lessons. The district is believed to be the first in the
country to require such a disclaimer.

Studies show that American children are falling behind children in other
nations in their knowledge and understanding of science. We simply can
not allow science education to be watered down by zealots who seek to
use our public schools as pulpits from which to teach ideology as fact,
while denying teachers and students their basic right to religious freedom.

Religion undeniably has its place in American society, but that place is
not our public schools! Take action! <http://go.care2.com/e/hPd/cI/C.Pm>

Jenny McKinley
Care2 & ThePetitionSite Team

Thank you for signing up to receive Progressive Politics Alerts via
ThePetitionSite or Care2 website! Your email address has not been bought
from other sources. If you learned something interesting from this
newsletter, please forward it to your friends, family and colleagues.

To stop getting this newsletter:
http://www.care2.com/newsletters/unsub/16/0/1525720/79dfbf70

or send an empty email to:
ng-u-16-1525720-238-273-d68e3254@australia.care2.com

John Barrer wrote:

--- Brian Whatcott <betwys1@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote in
part: (SNIP)

remember that they

share at least
the desire to keep science science-based.

But the danger IMO is that there is a very real threat
that science education will be forced to incorporate
decidedly non-scientific material in the classroom.
And this at time when, according to recent studies,
our national scientific literacy and competitiveness
is in serious decline. Why are technology-driven
companies (especially those in the biotech sector) so
silent on this attack on science education? Do they
believe the fight is already lost? Do they not care
b/c they believe they can get all the technical talent
they need from India and China? Do they believe that
HS science education is unimportant? Why the deafening
silence from the corporate community???

John Barrere Fresno, CA