[Phys-L] Re: [SPAM-6.111] Re: [SPAM-4.611] Re: THE WEDGE STRATEGY of The ID Movement

"The morality has actually varied from age to age and from one sect to
another. At one time the Christian position that there was no baby
until it quickened. The Jewish tradition considered the baby to be a
person on the 8th day when it was named. Some in the medical
community have argued that the baby is a person when the nervous
system has developed. No amount of argument on a list like this will
convince anyone that their position is correct."

I've mentioned that in one region of India it's much more than 8 days. I think when an HB becomes a person evolves according to the technology and status of health, (inter alia). The legal definition I think certainly has, just as has the definition of premature. I suspect for most people a person is an HB who has a soul. So the question boils down to what is a soul and when do "we" get one. I don't believe souls exist, and, therefore, take extreme positions.

bc

John M Clement wrote:

It think that a discussion of the morality of abortion is far beyond
this list. Certainly Creationism or ID do impinge on physics research
and education because once it is allowed into biology, cosmology would
be next. In addition general science education should be a topic for
this list.

The morality has actually varied from age to age and from one sect to
another. At one time the Christian position that there was no baby
until it quickened. The Jewish tradition considered the baby to be a
person on the 8th day when it was named. Some in the medical
community have argued that the baby is a person when the nervous
system has developed. No amount of argument on a list like this will
convince anyone that their position is correct.

For those who wish to say that a fetus is a person, what is a person
who developed from 2 eggs? This actually happens. Once in a while a
single individual develops from 2 different fertalized eggs and they
have different genes in different parts of the body. The DNA
extracted from saliva my have a completely different profile from that
taken from internal organs. There have even been individuals with
both male and female genetics.

Perhaps it would be better to cast stones privately rather than on the
list. Of do this on a more suitable list.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

No read Fetus. Calling a collection of embryo cells a baby is a nice
trick.

It is a baby, an unborn one maybe, but alive and responsive. Exiting
from the birth canal magically confers personhood on th infant?