From: "Bernard Cleyet" <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:46 AM
Subject: Re: THE WEDGE STRATEGY of The ID Movement

Yup!

The motivation may be (have been) different, same result, excess
morbidity and mortality.

bc

James E Mackey wrote:

Are you really equating US policies with the actvities in Soviet Russia
under those such as Stalin? I find that incomprehensible whatever the
stupidity and arrogance of some US policies might be.
James Mackey

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Hard to say -- how was life under the Tzars?

AS far as that goes the US is directly and indirectly responsible for
the deaths of the same order of magnitude, i.e. > two million, and it
continues to add to this number this very minute. Not to mention the
misery in Latin America, Palestine, etc.

bc

James E Mackey wrote:

The best example of negative scientific materialism I can think of is
Soviet Communism. I also cannot think of any otehr belief system that
produced so much misery and despair on people.
James Mackey

D.V.N.Sarma wrote:

On 12 Oct 2005, at 9:06, Robert B Zannelli wrote:

The proposition that human beings are created in the image of God is
one of
the bedrock principles on which Western civilization was built.

This presumes that somebody has seen God and made a
comparison of man and God to declare their similarity.

Was man made only in the physical image of God and not the
mental image of God? If he was made in the mental image also of
God then his pursuit of scientific materialism is in tune with God's
thinking.

Such moral relativism was
uncritically adopted by much of the social sciences, and it still
undergirds much
of modern economics, political science, psychology and
sociology.
Materialists also undermined personal responsibility by asserting
that human
thoughts and behaviors are dictated by our biology and
environment.

Morals are always relative. They depend on time, place and
the environment which includes circumstances. How many are
prepared to condemn the cannibalism of the survivors of the Andes
air crash? Or the polyandry in Tibet where women population is
less than that of males and neighboring villages separated by
scores of miles?

The social consequences of materialism have been devastating.

What about the consequences of religious dogma? Are the
consequences of scientific materialism worse than that of religious
dogma?

regards,
Sarma