----- Original Message -----
From: "James E Mackey" <jmackey@HARDING.EDU>

And BTW what's wrong with faith?

Nothing or a whole lot--it depends.

If faith helps one to live in harmony with others (including those who don't
believe) and does not interfere with one's other intellectual activities
(such as doing science), then nothing.

If faith convinces one to strap 10 pounds of C5 to one's body and enter a
crowded market to ignite it (or to fly an airplane into an occupied
building) then there is a whole lot wrong.

If I profess a deep and devout faith in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny,
how seriously will I be taken by my colleagues? Will they trust that I can
keep that 'irrational' faith out of any 'rational' scientific work I do--and
can I? It seems to me that good science requires being extremely skeptical,
while having a strong faith requires just the opposite.

Rick