[Phys-L] Re: Divinely Inspired Behavior

I agree with Jack that the intent of his last sentence depends on the
context provided by his preceding sentences.

For example, Christians might think they are operating from a code of
behavior directly stated by Jesus or from other divinely inspired words
in the Bible; however, to the extent the code of behavior appearing in
the Bible is just a rephrasing of Aristotle or the Code of Hammurabi,
one might question whether the Bible is divine (or divinely inspired)
rather than simply plagiarized from earlier thinkers.

Of course one might ask whether Aristotle was divinely inspired, etc.

Thus, the primary fault I find with Jack's last line was that it was
perhaps too strong. He might have said, "It is not obvious that the
patterns of behaviour often attributed to a divinely-inspired text truly
originated with the text that is claimed to be divinely inspired."

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817