[Phys-L] Re: Charts or Graphs, and other Excel stuff

I do this with my students. When going over graphs, we spend some time
going over what is a good/bad graphs and how to select the appropriate graph
type for the data that has been collected.

I also show students how graphs can be used to misrepresent the information.
I even have a few clippings from some major newspapers & magazines that use
graphs to misrepresent the information and discuss what needs to be done to
correctly show the information.

I also do something similar when students ask me to "curve the grades". I
sometimes give them a really simple quiz and let them know that I'll be
using the standard curve to grade their quizzes. They all get really
excited...until they get their quizzes back. It's amazing how quickly they
change their tune, but I use that as an intro to "bell curves".

For about the first semester, I have all of my students turn in all of their
graphs that have been done by hand. I believe computers and calculators can
be great tools, but are worthless if they don't understand how they got the
information or the meaning behind it. During the second semester, that is
when I take them into the computer lab and show them how to use
spreadsheets. I've noticed that if they have the background knowledge of an
appropriate graph, the graphs done using spreadsheets are of higher quality
and less error.

Dwight Souder
Crestview HS
Ashland, OH