[Phys-L] Re: Low enrollment courses in high school

If I remember correctly, rather recently (last century) "superior"
students were classed along w/ the challenged to successfully obtain
thru disability acts "special" attention. Perhaps Tim et al. could take
advantage of this, as cutting AP courses is the same as cutting special
courses for the "disadvantaged".

bc

Tim O'Donnell wrote:

We are facing the same issues - due to deceased funding, all of our Advanced
Placement Courses may be on the chopping block, because those classes have
smaller enrollments than "normal" classes.

I was informed that due to low enrollment, the Honors section of
introductory physics would be discontinued this year. As I had had at
least 23 students in Honors Physics each of the last three years, I
inquired as to the minimum enrollment necessary to continue offering
the course, and was told that the course was to be discontinued
regardless of the interest level.

I'm sure that "low enrollment", "student dissatisfaction", and other
non-quantified measures are routinely used to justify decisions which
are entirely personal or "political".