[Phys-L] Re: Charts or Graphs, and other Excel stuff

I agree with Rick Tarara's comments in terms of writing graphing
software and why modern spreadsheets are still the way to go in spite of
some problems.

In terms of writing software, I've "been there done that." I wrote
graphing software in MS-DOS right after IBM PCs and compatibles started
appearing. In terms of scientifically standard format, I still believe
my software was and is superior. In terms of user interface and
printing, I can't possibly keep up.

For example, in the early days I had to manually alter the program for
each printer (just like everybody did). I gave my program to students
at no charge, but they couldn't print on their printers unless they had
the same printer as we had in the science department, or unless I took
the time to write a driver for them.

When MS-Windows began to take over and MS-DOS applications began to
disappear, I did not have the time or energy to convert most of my
MS-DOS programs to Windows applications. It takes tremendous effort to
duplicate the user interface that spreadsheets like Excel provide. This
is not only true for data entry, saving, recall, but also screen
graphics and hardcopy output.

In the end, even though I am frustrated that spreadsheet software is
geared to business, the truth is that we can use it properly for science
if we choose to, and we can do that far easier than writing our own
software. The problem I am complaining about is when students do not
choose to use spreadsheet software properly, and when they do not write
about it properly in their reports nor produce scientifically-standard
printout.

I realize this is my problem and my students' problem, and not
Microsoft's nor Corel's problem. My purpose in starting this chain was
to see if others are having the problem and to learn what they are doing
about it. I do not think writing one's own software is the proper
solution to the problem.

I also wanted to make sure that if I keep telling students to call it a
graph rather than a chart, that I wasn't just being old fashioned.
Sometimes it is best for scientists to adopt to the ways of the world
rather than expecting the opposite. Said differently, one ought to
choose his battles carefully because some battles may not be winnable or
may not be worth winning. Thus, I was wondering if others on this list
think it is worth trying to preserve our preferences for the way
scientists and science students use and discuss spreadsheets, or if this
is a battle that isn't worth it, or perhaps not even a winnable battle.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817