[Phys-L] Re: Charts or Graphs, and other Excel stuff

Edmiston, Mike wrote:
I am wondering if these things bother other people, or if I am
just an old fashioned crabby guy.

My turn to be crabby: Please use the term _spreadsheet_ not
"Excel".

Not all copiers are made by Xerox (although Xerox did invent them).

Not all spreadsheets are Excel, and despite what billg would have
you believe, he did *not* invent them.

but I sure would prefer they call a graph a graph.

I find the following analogy helps get the point across: If you
walk into a restaurant, even a non-fancy restaurant, you will
embarass yourself if you order a serving of cow or pig. The
accepted terms are beef and pork.

it's his way or the highway.

I say to the students: Here is how I recommend doing it: ______
Why should you call a graph a graph, and a chart a chart? Please
don't think you are doing it to please me. You should do it out
of respect for yourself. I assume *you* want to use the right
terminology, so *you* don't embarass yourself. You are paying me
to help you with this.