[Phys-L] Re: Science "Magic" Demos

Some interesting demos:

Two neutral (?) density blocks in a tall cylinder of water:
one rises when the water temperature rises, the other falls.

Release an inflated ballon.

A bunsen burner under two copper gauzes - to demonstrate
flame under/between/over the gauze sheets.

Use an electric shock weapon to charge some objects.

Drop a small ball on a big ball.

Swing a massive (ten pin) ball pendulum across the
room from your nose.

Dip your hand in a bowl of molten lead.

Dip your hand in a bowl of liquid nitrogen.

Pull a tablecloth from under a plate and cutlery.

Invite the audience to rope walk using a long balance arm - the
rope just a few inches off the ground.

Spin a bike wheel fast, and turn the fork.

Inhale Helium and speak.

Show the slide show of Powers of Ten

Show a section of tree rings

Show a section of sedimentary rock.

show the two bottle tornado.

Project an intense white beam through a
prism or diffraction grating.

Show Einsteins patents for a refrigerator or his millivoltmeter.

Show a giant Newtons Balls rig.

Weigh a bottle with and without compressed air (care!)

Demonstrate a whipping top (how many kids have seen one?)

Roll two bolls down an inclined groove long enough to count the
travel time (same diam, weight balls , different radius of gyration)

Demonstrate an inclined archimedes screw as a water pump.

Show a dancing gas flame.

Brian Whatcott