[Phys-L] Re: Piaget? - Other Sources

Those who dislike long posts (14 kB), references, cross-posting, or
who have no interest in Piaget are urged to hit the DELETE button.

[Hake (2005a)], Barbara Millis, in her POD post of 5 Sep 2005 titled
"Piaget? - Other Sources" wrote [bracketed by lines "MMMMMMMM. . .;
my inserts at ". . .[ . . . ]. . . "

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I would recommend that anyone wanting to keep up with the latest
research on K-12 teaching and learning (with strong implications for
those of us in higher education) invest in Bransford, et al. . .
.[2000]. . ., "How Students Learn" and a follow-up volume on "How
Students Learn: History, Mathematics, and Science in the
Classroom.". . .[ Donovan & Bransford (2005)]. . . Both
research-based books contain a wealth of classroom-based experiences
useful for K-12 and university professors. I am finishing a review
of the latter book for the "National Teaching and Learning Forum
(NTLF). . . [<http://www.ntlf.com/>]. My key frustration is
distilling 615 pages of pure "gold" into an 800-word review
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

In my opinion Donovan & Bransford (2005) (D&B) is at most 18-karat
gold, since a search of the book at
<http://books.nap.edu/catalog/10126.html> for "physics" shows that
the editors and the "Committee On How People Learn" appear to be
oblivious of physics education research and development DONE BY
PHYSICISTS other than Andrea diSessa (1982), Jim Minstrell, and Pam
Kraus. The latter two authored D&B's Chapter 11 "Guided Inquiry in
the Science Classroom." In particular, D&B appear to ignore (a) most
of the extensive guided-inquiry research and development referenced
in McDermott & Redish (1999), and (b) the landmark work of Halloun &
Hestenes (1985a,b), which demonstrated how student *higher-level*
learning can be *directly* measured and which has contributed
substantially to the improvement of physics instruction in grades
9-16.

However, to their credit D&B include:

(a) references to Piagetian instruction [Kalchman (2001), Wollman
(1977), Wollman & Lawson (1977)], even despite the fact that Kieran
Egan, author of "Getting it Wrong from the Beginning: Our
progressivist inheritance from Herbert Spencer, John Dewey, and Jean
Piaget," is on the "Committee for How Students Learn."

(b) a nice story in Chapter 13 that helps students understand
number-system place value, taken from Kieran Egan's (1998) book
"Teaching as Story Telling."

Barbara Millis wrote: "I would recommend that anyone wanting to keep
up with the latest research on K-12 teaching and learning (with
strong implications for those of us in higher education) invest in
[Bransford, et al. [2000] and Donovan & Bransford (2005)].

A facet of the implications for higher education that's seemingly
ignored by most university faculty was emphasized 29 years ago by