[Phys-L] Re: infinite sig. figs.

because uncertainty is not the same as insignificance, nor
vice versa. This is a big problem. When I read something, I
never know whether "significant digits" refers to significance or
uncertainty ... and the recent posting by Michael E. is a perfect
example of this. The first time I read it, I assumed "significant
digits" referred to uncertainty, but the passage makes much more
sense if "significant digits" is taken to refer to honest-to-goodness
significance.

Reminds me that:

some? medical stats texts make a point of distinguishing between stat.
sig. and medical sig.

e.g. Primer of Biostats. Stanton Glanz (The tobacco guy)

John Denker wrote:
As noted yesterday, the many people have been taught to report the
_uncertainty_ of their results using /significant/ digits. That's
crazy, because uncertainty is not the same as insignificance, nor
vice versa. This is a big problem. When I read something, I
never know whether "significant digits" refers to significance or
uncertainty ... and the recent posting by Michael E. is a perfect
example of this. The first time I read it, I assumed "significant
digits" referred to uncertainty, but the passage makes much more
sense if "significant digits" is taken to refer to honest-to-goodness
significance.

Specifically, in the passage quoted below, if M.E. says three digits
are significant _to him_, who am I to argue? IMHO he has absolute
authority to say what is significant _to him_. The point of the
passage, as I understand it, is that the digits do *not* encode
the uncertainty of the measurement.

=======

As a trustworthy rule, in my writing and speaking, whenever I am tempted
to say "significant digits" I find that the sentence is greatly improved
by saying something else instead. The quoted passage is a fine example
of this. Please re-read it; don't you think it would be improved by
crossing out "three significant digits" and saying instead "three-digit
representation" or "three digits of resolution" or preferably just "three
decimal places".

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

<snip>
all calculations, even those involving "real-world" examples, are to be
carried out to three decimal places
<snip>
cut