[Phys-L] Re: infinite sig. figs.

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Thursday,
September 22, 2005 at 12:34 PM -0700 wrote:
First of all, I'm going to flame any sentence that uses the
term "sig figs." People who care about their data do not follow
the "sig figs rules" in any form. Instead, they talk about the
_uncertainty_ in their data. They represent the uncertainty
separately and explicitly.

First off I am in this camp philosophically but have a question as I teach
high school introductory level and the "evil" words are part of the
curriculum.

In determining a density of a rectangular soilid I might, with my cm ruler
get this data:
l = 3.75 +- .05 cm
w = 1.32 +- .05 cm
h = 0.54 +- .05 cm

all the tools I hav been taught to do this gives the volume as:
2.7 cc +- 0.4 cc (14%)

I do not like this very much as the 0.54 has the same certainty as the
others.
I would prefer:
2.67 =- 0.39 cc
but not
2.673 +- 0.388 cc

I have tried to take the approach that we are multiplying 3.7x by 1.32x by
0.5x (where the x represents an uncetain number). When I do this I get
2.4xxx which I think supports my choice of 2.67 cc.

I wonder if I am misleading my students with what I call a reasonable
approach?

Ken Fox