[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capabilities

Hi all-
Well, we can sit around complaining, like a bunch of
out-of-work Geezers, or we can try a constructive effort at reforming the
system. I suggest the latter, the first immediate goal being a statement
from the AAPT on the teaching of math.
Our clout (a local Chicago word) out to be great. The ultimate
sanction being the takeover of math preparation of students who are
interested in careers in the Physical and Biological sciences.
My suggestion for a starting point is a statement of proposed
outcomes, at the end of grade 12, in the subjects of algebra, geometry and
pre-calculus - without limiting ourselves to bureaucratic definitions of
those topics.
I realize that my use of terms like "proposed outcomes" and
"bureaucratic" may be subject to varying interpretations. Such ambiguity
is fine to the extent that it stimulates initial discussion.
This list may be a good place for formulating an initial proposal
to the AAPT.
Whatever works!
Regards,
Jack