[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capabilities

The Open University was Harold Wilsons baby rather than a Thatcher one.
Having done an OU degree (and being in the fortunate enough position to be
able to compare it to teaching I've experienced at other universities, such
as Cambridge) the materials are in my opinion too - mostly - a joy.

While the UK is doing well on the physics teaching front I would endorse the
view that for mathematics education it is not the place to look for
direction. This is not because of particularly bad teaching standards but
rather problems with implementation. There have been some inexplicable
happenings with maths in the UK - totally ignoring tried and tested courses
that work and replacing them with new ones that weren't anywhere near as
good, setting national exams with pass marks that seemed to wipe out a
cohort etc

The National Curriculum too hasn't been a bed of roses, but changes in the
future will probably see more time allowed for excellent creative activities
such as science fairs that we just don't have time to do now.

Cheers

Gary

G. D. Williams,
Editor, Physics Education
National Coordinator, IoP Teacher Network
gary.williams@iop.org
gdwilliams100@hotmail.com