[Phys-L] Re: Quarters vs Semesters

Michael Edmiston wrote:
<snip>
So I called
Columbus and asked. They confirmed that class days literally
mean class days, and final exam days and holidays cannot be
counted as class days. They said that if we were meeting 14
weeks instead of 15, that when we report our official
headcount we should multiply the count by 14/15. I told our
administration this, and they ignored me. I don't know if it
will ever catch up with them or not.

Maybe your school is right and Columbus is wrong. I don't know.
According to the Higher Education Act
(<http://ifap.ed.gov/bbooks/doc0010_bodyoftext.htm>) an academic year is
defined as at least 30 weeks of instructional time. Is there a
definition of instructional time and does it include exam time? I am at
a school that has 14 weeks of "instruction" and a week for "culminating
experiences".