[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capabilities

On Sep 17, 2005, at 5:27 AM, Brian Whatcott wrote:

One might as well "blame" the U.S educational system for the
sea-change in
British education.

Once upon a time (clear through the fifties at any rate), there was a
clear cut selection system:
select the best performing children on an IQ test at age eleven,
after six years of primary education. This represented about 10% of
the school child population.
To these fortunates, add those whose parents could afford private
schooling.
That was several percent more. Expose these kids to selective high
schools
(there called "Grammar Schools", with some preparatory, technical and
vocational
schools thrown in)
Abandon the remainder to "Secondary Modern" schools where they were
warehoused until age 15, at which time, they were released to
employment.

Not only the American life style as portrayed in movies but also
some insights into Americans' behavior led the British to suppose that
another 30 or 40% of the population could usefully be exposed to some
higher education, so the war medal for clearing the first educational
hurdle was changed from the "GCE" General Certificate of Education
O for Ordinary level to a somewhat watered down GCSE, S = Secondary.

More extraordinary, the British started a tertiary external avenue
named
The Open University - which allowed the great unwashed to work on
college level material while gainfully employed - who lacked any of
the
requisite war-medals.
The material was closely examined for intelligibility - and where
lab
experience was needed, lab materials were produced on a scale
heretofor unknown. These materials are (or were when I looked them
over)
a joy. This was the educational experiment over which Prime Minister
Thatcher presided, or perhaps one could call it, the experiment that
she failed to suppress.

This leavening effect will be shown to have had exactly the desired
effect
on that formerly class-riddled society - so that now one sees MIT
and the Ivy Leagues throwing open their course materials too....

Below is what one French author wrote about our schools. I will be
happy to send the entire French article to somebody who might be
interested.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.

"Americans do not have the equivalence of our preparatory schools, and
of our "Grande Ecoles;" their education system is very inequal. By
contrast, they value creativity of science students, in particular in
"Science Projects" and "Science Fairs." Students work on various
research projects during the entire school year. The they chose are
often become advanced; even professionals are sometimes surprised by
student's creativity and ingenuity. Scientific attitude, and way of
thinking that students develop, are later reinvested during their
professional carriers. That explains, without doubt, the US leadership
in the field of science and technology."

Les amercains ne dispose pas de ''equvalent de nos classes
preparatoires et nos grande ecoles, et des etablissements est tres
inegale. En conterepartie. le creativite des eleves est valorisee dans
l'enseignement des scence, en articulair au travers des "Science
Projects" and "Science Fairs." . . .