[Phys-L] Re: Quarters vs Semesters

ten weeks/quarter X five fifty min. h/week X three quarters = 150 h

if one includes the Summer quarter then include the two Summer sessions
(semester program: ten and six weeks) That beats any quarter system!

[in all cases assumes xams xtra days except semester summer: last day is
final.] If I remember correctly Summer classes were > one h.

VL's program suggests that not only have grades inflated, but also class
time. Is that fifth hour each week play time?

bc, who will follow w/ block vs. regular HS schedule

Rauber, Joel wrote:

| Intro physics is no problem--it is a year long just as at
| semester schools.

This is my point, but I consider it a problem, the year of physics is
120 lectures for you in the quarter system, in a semester system it is
82 lectures (at my institution)

(but we have slightly shorter semesters than many, the number may be
more typically 86-90 for the semester system).

So they are not identical. You can not cover as much material in the
semester system, as measured by one hour (50 min) lecture periods in the
year long introductory physics course.