[Phys-L] Re: Text book prices

On 17 Sep 2005 at 5:18, D.V.N.Sarma wrote:

This link may be of interest to us. Physics text books
also have become costly.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/16/opinion/16ayres.html?th&emc=th>

regards,
Sarma.

I disagree with this author. Instructors I know do consider pricing issues. Texts are
selected for a number of reasons, but seldom for the "bells and whistles." Professors
primarily focus on the text (contents, clarity, accuracy, ease of use, cost, homework set,
and figures). After that, one looks at whether it has a nearly error free solutions manual
and a good test bank. Any other supplements get little attention. We do care what the
books cost, but the books have to meet other criteria first. For example, I could use a
$20 book for my gen ed class, but the students would gain nothing from it (as I learned
the semester I did use it). However, the $80 book that I use now, perfectly matches the
course description, is easy to comprehend, has good illustrations, an OK test bank, etc.
Students are doing better in my course with the assistance of this text, than with the
other, low cost, text. If I was forced to use a university committee-selected text, the
students might pay the price in their education instead of the dollars paid for the better
text.