[Phys-L] student mathematical capabilities

Hi everyone,

Like most others of my vintage, I learned that 2+2=4 and that 3 times 6
= 18 without any attempt at explanation and feel that this learning
served me well although I didn't much care for it at the time (which
many math teachers say is an issue).

My colleagues in the math department tell me that they teach math, not
physics, not chemistry, and not cooking. Their averaged out response to
physics is much the same as the averaged out response of members of the
English Department (excuse me, the Department of English). The math
teachers do a very good job of teaching such things as solving algebraic
equations and making graphs, but include almost no discussion of
applications until AP Calculus where they are required to talk a little
about kinematics and related rate problems. For this reason, students
get a shock when they take chem or physics because a problem described
verbally has to be solved using mathematics. The translation has to be
practiced for some time before they get it.

From the anecdotes shared in the last day or so, I think I have it
pretty good. I'd much rather have to work on the translations than on
solving the algebraic equations in the first place.

As for the question of applying calculus, I think Chabay and Sherwood do
a very nice job of introducing integrals as sums from the very beginning
of their Matter and Interactions text. Their treatment may or may not
turn out to be to everyone's taste, but there's some interesting
pedagogy that's worth thinking about in any case.

Cheers,
Jeff

If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to
patient attention than to any other talent.
-- Isaac Newton