[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capability

This could lead to an entire reant on stemming from sad stories.

Yesterday I was working with a student (high school junior) who is
enrolled in a precalculus course and says that math comes easy. While
working with her, I saw her solve this equation:

0 = 625 - 100* a

and get

a = 525.

I was (am) stunned!

However, as I have watched students get pushed to achieve more and sooner
( and there are many that can) I find the early teaching in the younger
grades focusing on an algorithmic approach and foregoing the development
of real understanding. I am not convinced that all students are really
ready to master algebra in grade 8 at age 13 or 14. Many can but not all
by any means. I should not be surprised.

Ken Fox