[Phys-L] Re: "moving clock runs slower" (yes)

Bob Sciamanda wrote:
Consider the simple "bouncing photon" clock. In its proper frame, a photon
bounces back and forth, in one dimension, between two parallel mirrors -
registering one tick per round trip. As viewed from a moving frame this
photon travels a longer, "triangular" path through space. Since the photon
speed is numerically the same (c) as measured in both frames, the clock must
tick at a slower rate when viewed from the second frame (when compared to an
identical clock at rest in the second frame).

I would say that the _projection_ of the clock's tick-events
onto the laboratory's time-axis is slow, i.e. the _projected_
tick-marks are farther apart.

What is it about this effect that is not real, and only an appearance

The projection is quite nontrivial.

It is profoundly analogous to viewing a ruler nearly end-on.

- must
we say that the invariance of vacuum light speed is not real, and only an
appearance?

No, "c" is the same in all frames. All the projection operators you
can make from the Lorentz group leave "c" unchanged. Under a Lorentz
transformation, the x axis tilts up just as much as the t axis tilts
over, so that the diagonal remains unchanged. Draw the diagram. Or
look at mine:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/twins.htm#fig-twins-joe
http://www.av8n.com/physics/twins.htm#fig-twins-out
http://www.av8n.com/physics/twins.htm#fig-twins-in