[Phys-L] Excel substitute

Hi folks,

Yesterday, Herb Gottlieb wrote,

"Jeff

How about contributing something now ?????

Herb"

Now, Herb is one of my most important and influential mentors, so he can
talk to me that way and I have to take him seriously. I have only a
question for the list right now, but I'll keep working on it.

When I went to AAPT this summer I was impressed by the number of people
who are using Excel as a teaching tool in their introductory physics
classes. So I'm going to try it, too. I'd like my students to be able
to use Excel at home, but not all of them have Excel installed on their
home computers, and it's a pretty pricey program. Does anyone know of a
shareware or freeware substitute that would work well for intro physics
and that can exchange files with Excel?

Thanks, all, for considering this.

Cheers,
Jeff