[Phys-L] Re: For Mac users

Carbon Copy Cloner does NOW work w/ Tiger as per Bombich website.
Disk Utilities can make a clone also, but CCC is a lifesaver.

I do some amateur programming and trashing the system happens. It has
also happened when dealing with devices that record a stream to a
drive; it is best to record to a 'sandbox' (dedicated partition) to
prevent damage to the main system drive. For the same reasons, I
write most of my files to one partition and keep apps on the main.

Some notes on making a clone:
Do it on a separate drive if possible or at least a partition. I run
two drives in a G5, the second has two partitions. One for work and
media, the other to back up the system.

Initialize that bkup partition prior to make the clone using disk
utility or CCC. Technically, a clean start is not needed, but it
seems to be more reliable.

Check to see that the newly cloned drive is bootable by holding down
the optionkey at boot and selecting that drive as the start drive.

Leave the computer ALONE during the clone. Close browsers and other
apps. Not a good time to push the multi tasking issue.

Cloning before one of Apple's major system updates is not completely
paranoid, but I've only had one problem in many updates.

Necessary mac guru-wanabe skills:
1) If anything weird starts to occur, reboot into safe mode and learn
to run a fsck (file system check) from the commandline. Instructions
can be found <http://macs.about.com/od/osx/a/running_fsck.htm>.
2) Learn to use the diagnostics disc when serious weirdness starts. I
found a intermittent bad RAM chip using the deeper tests available
that was causing some crashes.

HTH
Scott

PS
It is my casual observation that OS X loves RAM - gobs of RAM. The
more RAM, the more stable (and faster) the system seems to be.
Currently, at 1.25Gb, I have not had any problems for months and only
reboot when apple updates require it. Most quirky macs I come across
are running min. spec. RAM.

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy