[Phys-L] Re: relativity: style +- technique

The distinction between these two approaches is artificial.

They both subscribe to the fundamental dicta that
1) physics is conceived, constructed, and tested in the form of assertions
of quantitative relations among humanly defined measurables.

2) special relativity asserts that the four dimensional (spatio-temporal)
interval between two given events is a Lorentz invariant ( numerically the
same for all inertial observers).

3) the spatial and temporal components of these four dimensional intervals
are what we humans define, and measure, as distance and time. These
measurements are what are *real* to us - these are what correspond to our
immediate sensory experiences and our most sophisticated laboratory
measurements.

4) The numerical values of these components (measurable properties of
reality) are observer dependent. The measurements of different inertial
observers are related by the Lorentz transformation of the space-time
coordinates of each event from one observer's frame to another's. No ONE
observer's measurements are any more objective or "true" than another's.

5) There is no other meaning to a time or space interval. These are humanly
invented concepts. There is no supra human "isness" to these properties;
they are undefined outside of the context of a specific human observer.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/
trebor@winbeam.com