[Phys-L] Re: "moving clock runs slower" (not)

I have always used the phrase, "to us, a moving clock appears to run
slower." I don't know if this is really clearer, but it makes sense
of the situation to me.

While I am sympathetic to John Denker's original point, I do fear
that this is one of the most likely alternatives and, in my opinion,
it is even more misleading. It may or may not be "real," but it is
not a matter of "appearance." Indeed, a moving clock can "appear" to
run fast. Consider, for instance, a clock that is approaching you at
a velocity close to that of light. This clock will "appear" to run
fast, but if you correct for the finite velocity of light (no
relativity required here) you will determine that the clock is
"really" running slow.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona