[Phys-L] Re: "moving clock runs slower" (not)

Rick Tarara wrote in part:
That the clock moving at high speed relative to me runs slower
than my clock is easily demonstrated with the classic 'light clock'

But IMHO the clock doesn't run slower.

I know how to do the demonstration Rick describes, i.e. I know
how to calculate d(t)/d(tau) ... but I don't think it demonstrates
that the moving clock runs slower. We agree about the equation,
but we appear to disagree about the interpretation of the equation.

I still think this is analogous to asking whether the pencil
_is_ shorter when we view it nearly on end ... and IMHO the
answer is no, it is not really shorter.

The projection of the pencil is not the pencil. This is a rather
important philosophical point, necessary to prevent a horrible
host of misconceptions.

Reference: Some Greek guy had something to say about shadows on
the wall of the cave.....