[Phys-L] Re: Newton's Equation - 2 or 3 terms?

On Monday, Sep 5, 2005, at 09:36 America/New_York, Brian Whatcott wrote:

At 06:40 AM 9/5/2005, Gene Mosca, you wrote:

On September 4, 2005 3:44:21 PM EDT, John Clement wrote:

3 variable equations such as F=ma

F=ma is a two variable equation. Mass is not a variable in this
equation

Gene

In the variant f = mg we suppose that the force acting is
proportional to the mass, in order to justify the constant
acceleration due to gravity.

Mass is also a variable in a setup with which the effect of the mass on
acceleration (keeping F constant) is demonstrated.
What I have in mind is a loaded cart (variable m1) accelerated along
the horizontal surface by a net force F=(m2-m1)*g, where m2 is a mass
suspended over a pulley. It is a good and effective demo.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.