[Phys-L] Re: Piaget

Hi Joe-
That was only one of a very large number. Your argument against
this author being out of his field would also apply to Piaget. And would
you revoke all the Physics Nobels that were given to non-physicists? That
part of your comment is, I'm afraid, ad hominem.
When it comes to credibility, what you refer to as a "logical
trick" is not a trick at all. When a researcher fakes one bit of
research, then all of that researcher's work becomes suspect. I've been
told that there is substantial literature to the effect that Piaget
"dry-labbed" a lot of his results. Until now, I've never been
sufficiently interested to investifate the claim. Perhaps others on this
list, with a stronger interest in the truth of the matter, will look into
it further and report back.
I'm introducing this topic because I learned at UIC, when I got a
high school teaching certificate, that Piaget's work has never stood up to
close scrutiny. Textbooks in the '80's began referring to Neo-Piaget
approaches. Someone on this list once referred me to Edelstein's work
which showed by way of counter-example, that Piaget stages (as determined
by tests) were, at best, transient and, at worst, non reproducible.
This is not to say that I find Piaget totally incredible. I've
played sith small children and seen some support for the kind of thinking
described by Piaget. But the existence of some supporting evidence is not
enough to make the case.
Regards,
Jack