[Phys-L] Re: ID Tail Wags Science Dog

I wonder if one could sue, as was argued in racial discrimination suits,
arguing a pattern of discrimination (statistical), in contract awards,
against those who criticize the government. These were successful with
out having to prove overt discrimination.

bc

Karl Trappe wrote:

While looking for a different book at Barnes and Noble, I stumbled upon a "New
Non-Fiction" book that may shed further light on this ID debate. I wish I
could make it non-partisan, but here it is:

The Republican War on Science by Chris Mooney. ISBN # 0-465-04675-4.
Publisher: Basic Books, $24.95 list.

A brief reading reveils the political trap in which George W. Bush found
himself when attempting to fulfil campaign promises over the T Cell research
issue of "new lines". It makes interesting reading.

I would be interested in other's take on the "new science protocal" mandated by
presidentially appointed heads of granting agencies. A faculty member of an
un-named university, said he felt it was inappropriate to comment on the
"politics" of science being defined by top down administrative guidlines. He
preferred to go along to get along...for risk of jeopardizing funding.

How many of you feel this chill of keeping your mouths shut for fear of losing
your funding? Do you also have post tenure review, with grant dollars
determining your viability? Do you think you are beyond such retribution?
Karl