[Phys-L] Re: Mocking the Faithful: was Breaking News in ID

On Aug 24, 2005, at 12:08 AM, John Clement wrote:

...The real problem is with people who are religious and do not
have the ability to think scientifically. This would be 70% of the
population. Scientific thought really requires formal operational
reaoning,
or in Lawson's terms hypothetico-deductive reasoning. Only about 30%
of the
population tests at this level, while 30% test at the concrete
operational
level (typical of children below age 10). The rest are transitional.

There are plenty of nonreligious people who don't think scientifically,
as you point out. "Alternative health" products and treatments are
doing a bit too well in the USA due to a lack of critical thought
skills in the purchasers/users.

Also, the research skills of some of these ID/creationists may be
lacking (and noncreationists too). Why else would some of the stuff
found on <http://www.snopes.com/> and <http://www.quackwatch.org/> come
and go with the seasons?

Still, I'll give some credit that Christian sites like
<http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/dont_use.asp> point out
arguments creationists should NOT use because they are wrong or
unverifiable or have no value in the argument. Now, are the
creationists browsing the net looking for sites like that? I doubt it.

Since there is compelling evidence that students can be cognitively
accelerated to the formal operational level, this problem is actually
squarely in the labs of the educators who failed to do this. Let us
face
it, we educators have failed to properly educate students to think
scientifically.

I blame forced annual Science Fairs for the problem, or I did until
<insert favorite standardized testing scheme> came along ;) The
education system as far as science goes just isn't set up to produce a
significant quantity of thinking, questioning kids -- religious or not.

-- Keith