[Phys-L] Re: ID and string theory

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard Cleyet" <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 8:00 PM
Subject: Re: ID and string theory

"I repeat that this would not be
nearly so big an issue as it has become if it were not for the fact that
many Christians feel that their beliefs are under attack through
ill-conceived or intentional equating of science with infallibility
coupled ...."

McD!

What evidence do you have that scientists are attacking Christianity?
If little or none, then it's similar to the immoderate Republicans
attacking the "liberal" media. The media are nearly all conservative.

Intelligent design is at least in part (I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what
fraction) an attempt to get what the proponents consider to be "equal time"
with evolution - IN SCHOOL. At no time did I say, and I certainly didn't
mean to imply that scientists were attacking Christianity. For me this is
largely an issue of how evolution is presented in school, through the media,
etc. Imo, most of the fault lies with poor science education for most of
the population, who have virtually no understanding of science or the
methodology that goes part and parcel with it. The rest is carelessness in
expression by people who know better. I would think that scientists,
generally, are the LEAST likely to cause a problem, and then only
inadvertantly (mostly by assuming understanding of the qualifications
involved in any scientific pronouncement, where little or none exists
outside that select group called "scientists").