[Phys-L] Re: Energy is primary and fundamental?

Good discussion on this important topic!

Energy is an important concept in all the sciences. Traditionally, physics
discussed PE and KE. PE is always associated with a force, and the KE
equation
is derived from equations from 1D and NL. So it makes sense to me to talk
about forces first.

I think kids can relate to forces much easier than to energy. After all,
energy is not real,
only an abstraction invented by humans to explain things. Ask anyone for a
good
definition of energy, and you'll get many responses. Ask about forces, and
it's a no-brainer.
Energy is also a conserved quantity, which makes it easy to solve many
problems
in physics.

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Tuesday, August