[Phys-L] Re: Energy is primary and fundamental???

Jim Green wrote:

I find myself wondering what has come over the list. Do we really want to
debate whether the fellow who smacks you on the nose has applied a
"force"? If there is anything real in his galaxy, that is real.

But "energy"??? For Pete's sake energy is an invention! It certainly
isn't "primary and fundamental" We wander around saying that "light" is
photons or maybe waves or maybe a beam. Also inventions. Yes photons got
Einstein a prize, but they are not "real" All these concepts are useful
-- They help us solve some practical problems.-- but they are not real.

If we try to teach that they are "primary and fundamental," we do our
students a great disservice..

I agree. I'm really not sure I grasp the motivation for creating a course
that treats Energy as "fundamental". In some ways, as a particle physicist,
I agree that energy is a fundamental quantity. However, I fail to see any
pedagogical advantage in trying to introduce what is really a rather
abstract
topic in the opening stages of a course. I have a hard enough time in a
traditional ordering convincing some students that gravitational potential
energy actually exists - I can't imagine beginning with energy topics,
without
having grounded them in understanding position, velocity and momentum. I
say this with potential physics majors in mind in a calculus based
class! I
certainly wouldn't dream of thrusting this concept at the outset on
students in
an algebra-based course for science majors or worse on students in a
non-science majors course!

The fairly recent article in The Physics Teacher on the origin of
potential energy
contained (I think) a very nice discussion that is relevant to our
discussion. I
honestly think, with Jim and Ludwik that any conceivable advantage to an
energy-first method would be outweighed by rather ponderous conceptual
disadvantages.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Todd

--