[Phys-L] Re: fall cleanup: sig figs

How can
digits that carry no significance (meaning I have no idea what the real
value in that place should be) guard anything?

Accumulating ten times longer we had even more impressive signal to
noise ratio (in the sum). I was very impressed. But I would not say
that this was a conversion of nonsignificant digits into significant
digits. It was nothing else but gaining precision by getting an average
value from many measurements.

Interesting story. I like to hear about clever ways of gathering data. I
really do not see how this relates to insignificant digits guarding anything
however. Am I missing something?