[Phys-L] Re: First Day Activities or Demos

How about breaking a piece of wood.....cedar shingles....tapered.....with
your hand? as part of the shingle is under a full page of newspaper spread
out over a desk top...not the demo desk use a lower on...more space for your
arm to move. Make sure more than half of the shingle is under the paper
aligned with the fold.

This one always worked for me, I did some others like the fabric from under
a place setting...make sure no seam on the edge you are pulling under the
dishes, also have a little slack in the cloth between you and the table so
you can get a 'running' start before the cloth becomes tight.

Then we all agree these was 'Magic' so we obviously could not understand
it........but then with teens this premise is Never acceptable. grin.....a
demonic grin from me....... so now they want to know why and how these
work and to be sure their teacher was not a karate
expert....giggle....(really am a short, chubby and older woman)

It then became a tradition to have demos at the introduction to a concept
and always followed by the question of how this could be.....and the
students would go along with the joke and say "MAGIC". Then we would
continue to explore the concept and develop the Physics Viewpoint........yes
it was a great time....almost too much fun to be school.

Hope this is useful.
Sheron Snyder
Art of Physics Instructor Now....
@ Lansing Community College