[Phys-L] Re: NAS President Testifies Before Congress on Global Warming

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Whatcott <betwys1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Date: Sunday, July 31, 2005 7:56 pm
Subject: Re: NAS President Testifies Before Congress on Global Warming

At 12:25 AM 7/31/2005, Leigh, you wrote:

Richard Hake writes:

According to the "What's New" newsletter of 29 Jul 2005 from the
National Academies:

"At two recent Senate hearings, National Academy of Sciences
President Ralph J. Cicerone discussed the current state of
scientific> > understanding on climate change based largely on
findings of recent
studies by the National Academies."

I read Cicerone's testimony, and I have been interested in the
science and politics of climate change for some years. In my opinion
Cicerone responsibly presents the situation by frequently
intercalating caveats emphasizing the uncertainty of climate
scientists regarding many issues of importance to a government policy
maker. George W. Bush char
acterized this situation as being too
uncertain to act upon, and did not choose to join the now defunct
Kyoto Treaty. He deserves to be recognized as having made a correct
decision in this matter. I only wish my own government (Canada) had
acted as wisely.
///
Leigh

Bush is currently acknowledging the human contribution to global
warmingaccording to AP reports.
He rejected Kyoto as damaging to the US economy, but is involved in an
effort to weld several third world countries (India, China etc.)
and the US into a voluntary pact to limit emissions. The US is said to
represent a quarter of the world-wide loading of emissions of
interest, and so his effort, if belated, is still welcome.

1) By how much would the emission of CO2 etc. be reduced if 100% of US electricity were from nuclear reactors?

2) By how much would the emission of CO2 etc. be reduced if 100% of US vehicules were powered from rechargeable electric batteries (using nucl
ear electricity)?

3) By how much would the emission of CO2 etc. be reduced if we used trains and busses instead of automobiles?