[Phys-L] Re: Suggestions for Modern Physics text?

I thought that was the purpose of this "forum"!

Amazon has book reviews and "people who bought .. also bought ..." I
searched to see if Eisberg's was even available (I'm biassed.) and found
some rather negative reviews of Serway, et al.

why not stick w/ T & R for one more semester? Won't it be less
expensive for the students as remaindered?

bc

p.s. your course description is the same as NPS's, which uses T & R, a
rather intro. book compared to Eisberg and Eisberg and Resnick.

John Howell wrote:

Hi all,

I hope I'm not abusing the list to ask the following: I'm trying to
choose a text for a one-semester college course in Modern Physics.
We tend to have time to cover only part of what is in most texts,
namely relativity, quantum through Schroedinger equations as applied
to the Hydrogen atom, and a brief overview of particles and Feynman
diagrams.

I've used Thornton and Rex, but as they go into a new edition, I
thought I'd reassess the choice. Does anyone have suggestions, or a
reference to a web page that compares some texts?

Thanks for any help you can give.

John