[Phys-L] Re: Sound

I see peter E. is still at UCSC. He helped me out w/my concert
recording, and notified me when they surplused a nice Revox.

About hearing, my Doc. said that my loss at both ends made sense
physiologically. There are two nerves, one for loud and one for soft;
both probably damaged in my case.

Finally, the transcendentalist philosopher commented in his book about
how sounds carried across Emerson's pond.

Marc Kossover wrote:

--- Leigh Palmer <palmer@SFU.CA> wrote:

I have
never heard of a mechanical analog of the iris in
the ear, but it is
something that, perhaps, anatomists should look for,
given the clever
things that have evolved over vast past.

Actually something like that exists. The hammer, anvil
and stirrup bones act as levers to increase the energy
transmission to the basal membrane, but they can also
pull away from the membrane and each other to some
degree to control the amount of energy transmitted.
The effect is to a smaller degree than the iris, but
still effective for loud sustained sounds. However,
short loud sounds cannot be accounted for, and so they
can have the greatest loss of hearing. Guns in
particular are a problem. Check out
<http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_background/TE-03/teces_03.html>
for more info.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay
San Francisco, CA 94121
<http://tochnit.jchsofthebay.org/~zkossover>