[Phys-L] Re: gas has mass

this is an easy problem if one make approximations and assumptions
[possibly extreme and invalid]

So I put on my freshman hat and came up w/ over 100 mph for two pieces
of a one litre bottle. I'd been told compressed gas was rather energy
dense. In the fifties a UCB lab was destroyed by a compressed gas
bottle when it fell and the valve was knocked off. Since then I've
always screwed on the covers except when in use. Also I purchased a
SCUBA tank to make a jet engine. It and I on a dolly.

Here's my assumptions, etc.

isothermal and ideal gas (not bad here).

W =k (integ. 1/V dv) limits 1 E-3 m^3 and 4.4 ....

k = 1/22.4 mole (8.3 J M^-1 K^-1) 300 K = 111 J

W = 164 J

Assume bottle splits into two masses of 50 gm. Izod test of PETE is
0.5ft#/inch. Six inch bottle, therefore, ~ 13.6 J. *

this leaves about 75 J for the projectiles. Equating PE w/ ke ~ 120mph

improvements: treat the expansion as adiabatic. somehow guess the
inefficiency ot the gas expansion to propelling the bottle halves.

Errors?

bc

p.s. * probably rather less as the test specimen is wider (thicker)
than the bottle's

John Denker wrote:

Weighing a two-liter soda bottle with 80 psig of air in it
makes an unforgettable demo. That's fifteen grams of air!

Pleeease hydrostatically test your bottles and be
careful with them. Wear eye protection. You don't
want the bottles to go boom, especially not indoors.
Guess how I know.

Bottom half of
http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0502&L=phys-l&P=R4357
plus