[Phys-L] Re: Sizes of atoms (was evidence for non-classical behavior)

At 09:34 AM 7/10/2005, Moses F., you wrote:

.....can the monolayer itself retain its continuity?
I think these questions... are all interesting in their own right,
and the answers may critically depend on specific molecular
characteristics of the systems. I personally never saw them
discussed in any book or paper, although there probably must
be the relevant sources.

Moses Fayngold,
NJIT

I seem to recall a monolayer experiment description where
the boundary of the layer was determined by a paddle
connected to a force guage, so that squeezing the layer
showed steps in the force/distance graph.

The stark simplicity of the monolayer experiments
recommends them: a liquid with hydrophilic and hydrophobic
molecular terminal features and the tiny spores of an ancient
fern like plant are not sine quae non.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!