[Phys-L] rampant dishonesty about graduation rates

Quoting a press release from the Education Trust:
http://www2.edtrust.org/EdTrust/Press+Room/HSGradRate2005.htm

“We've got to end this rampant dishonesty about graduation rates,”
said Kati Haycock, director of the Education Trust. “If we are going
to prepare students for the challenges of college, work, and life, we
need to transform our high schools.

“But if we are to persuade policymakers, educators, and the public to
take on the vital and necessary work of high school reform, states
must start telling the truth – telling the truth about how many
students aren't graduating from high school,” she said. “And it would
sure help if the U.S. Department of Education stopped sitting on the
sidelines and worked to put an end to these shameful practices.”

Full report:
http://www2.edtrust.org/NR/rdonlyres/C5A6974D-6C04-4FB1-A9FC-05938CB0744D/0/GettingHonest.pdf